Told To Elevate Your Property Against Floods? Some Options That Can Help

Flooding has been a very serious issue in most of the Southern states. A few Northern states have had a little trouble with flooding as well, particularly near major waterways. If you are not required to carry flood insurance in your state, you might want to reconsider it if you have experienced any flooding near or in your home. Additionally, if you have been told by city, county, or state officials that you now need to elevate your property, you might be feeling anxious or worried about how to afford this major change to your property. The following options can help.

​FEMA-Issued Flood Elevation Certificates

If you live in an area that was considered and pronounced a natural disaster area due to flooding, there is a very good chance that FEMA is issuing flood elevation certificates for everyone who was affected in your area. You will have to contact FEMA and fill out the proper request forms, but if you qualify (which you should if you are in the disaster-designated zone and have extensive flood damage), FEMA will send a certificate to help cover the majority of the costs related to your property. Once you have the certificate, you should also apply for flood insurance, even though it may not be required in your area. 

Homes for Humans

​Home building organizations that rely on sweat equity can also help you elevate your home. Not only are you taught essential building and home maintenance skills when participating in this program, but you also get your home properly elevated either for free or for a reduced-interest rate home loan with generous repayment terms. If you cannot get help from FEMA to elevate your home, try these sorts of organizations.

​Project Homes for Trade Schools

​Another way to get your home elevated for almost nothing is to offer it up as a project home to a trade school. If there are several building trades offered by a local trade or vocational school, you can contact them to see if they need a project this semester. If they do, you can volunteer your property. The school typically pays for all of the necessary materials and insurance to start and complete the project, in addition to providing student labor and making sure the whole elevation project is built to area codes and standards. (The instructors at all licensed contractors that oversee the students' work, so you are guaranteed a properly done job.)